Friday, December 27, 2013

Disney Parks Authentics Mickey Watch - A Simple Yet Fun Watch, A Review

This is one of the few times that I would get myself a pure quartz watch.

In January of 2013, I got the opportunity to re-visit Disneyland Anaheim after a 17 year hiatus. It was a nostalgic moment for me as 17 years ago, it was the honeymoon destination for me and my wife. Now, 17 years later, we are back with 3 kids in tow.

Unfortunately, 17 years ago, I wasn't into watches. Back then, Seiko was supplying to Disney automatic models unique to Disney but not anymore. Now, such automatic watches are fetching sums exceeding USD500 per unit!!! So, one of the mission that I have with the visit is to get myself a Disney themed watch.

Unfortunately, the only mechanical watch available was by Ingersoll. A re-issue of a model first issued back in the 1930s. Every other watch was quartz. :(

Nevertheless, my wife decided to get one for me as part of my birthday gift. What she got was by Disney Parks Authentics, with a Mickey Mouse dial and the option to change into 3 different bezel and straps/bracelets.



Disney Parks Authentics is a brand owned by Disney Corporation that is responsible to produce all the consumer products sold in the parks. For this particular model that my wife got me, its an analog quartz but with a special twist. It comes with replacement straps and bracelets.

If you look at the watch, you would imagine that it is designed using a contemporary layout where the lugs are part of the watch casing. In actual fact, it is not. The actual watch casing has the shape of a wall clock. The bezel can be screwed off and once that's done, the strap or bracelet including the lugs will drop off. This makes changing the bracelet or strap a tool-less affair. This means that you can individualize you watch into  9 possible combinations (after taking into account the 3 different bezels that are also provided). 


Personally, I prefer the leather strap.

The Mickey Mouse outline makes this watch a good formal wear piece. Not too cartoon-like.


The watch does not have any other functions apart from the three hands. It is approximately 40 mm wide.


The case-back is printed on with basic information about the make and the movement used. From here you can see that its made in China using Japanese quartz movement and has a water rating of 3 ATM or 30 meters.

One thing about quartz watch, the accuracy beats any mechanical watch's. 


This side picture shows you how the detachable lugs connect with the watch case. Note the gap at the top of the lugs where it meets the watch casing.


The leather strap that comes standard is comfortable. No other obvious markings are provided.


I reckon, the cost of the intellectual property rights to put up the Mickey Mouse image onto the watch is more than the total cost of production. Overall, a simple, comfortable but above all a fun watch.

Battery

The battery for this watch is the SR616SW.
 



Photo Gallery



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTRIBUTE FOR THE UPKEEP OF THIS BLOG

Any contributions is appreciated!