Thursday, January 9, 2014

OCEAN7 LM3 V2 1250m Dive Watch - Can Be Used In Formal As Well As Sporty Settings, A Review

My first experience with the Ocean7 brand. I was intrigued by their designs especially on dive watches. The price and the specifications on the watches also seems value-for-money. I took a chance and chose the LM3 V2. After making the necessary purchase via their website, I waited patiently for the watch to arrive.

I did not have to wait for long. In a few days, the watch was on my table. The watch box was very nice. It has the watch, mail bracelet, and some stickers. I read from other reviewers that they got temporary tattoos instead of stickers.

Since I got an option for either the rubber strap or the mail bracelet (or Milanese bracelet) , I chose the letter. After making the adjustments, I put it on my wrist.


Since I got a 7.5 inch wrist, I was surprised to find it covering my wrist completely since it was stated that the watch is only 42 mm diameter. I though there must have been a typo and that the watch is actually much bigger. In reality, the shape of the watch that provided the illusion. The crystal measures 30 mm. The bezel band is 5.1 mm wide while the lug to lug is a whopping 61.4 mm. The watch is also thick at 15 mm.


The watch comes with flat sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on the inside. The bezel is unidirectional with a 120 click for a full rotation. The customary pip on the bezel is lumed. The dial is clean in black with only the "Ocean 7" brand printed on it. The markers are all lumed using the Swiss Super Luminova paint. The minute hand follows the plonguer design (plongeur, the French word for diver) with orange borders. All hands on the watch are lumed.

The only complication is the date window situated at the 6 o'clock position, just above the marker. I salute the designer of this watch for not taking the easy way out by substituting the 6 o'clock market with the date window.

In the photo below you can see the base of the watch that is much bigger than 42 mm.


The lume on the watch is bright.


The solid case-back with the "07" logo etched in the center. Basic information about the watch is also provided on the case-back.

The movement powering this watch is the Swiss ETA2824.


This watch has a 1250 m dive rating. To be able to dive that deep, a helium escape valve (HEV) mechanism is deemed necessary for the watch. Ocean7 decided to incorporate an automatic HEV system that can be seen in the following photo.


The watch is comfortable to wear. You can use it for formal wear as the watch is not too overwhelming and it is able to slip under cuffs.

The only issue that could crop up is if you are a hairy person on the wrist. Body hair tends to get trapped in the chain mail bracelet and it can get painful at times.


The clasp with the brand etched on the security tab. I am not sure whether I am right to say it but the gap between the security tab and the clasp does look like poor manufacturing tolerance.


One thing I like about the design by Ocean7 on the bracelet is the use of solid bars as a bridge to the two halves of the bracelet instead of the typical stamp metal sheet. This in itself implies value to the whole package.


Below is a video of the movement of the second-hand as well as how it would look on a wrist.



This watch is a tool watch but in the same time capable to pass as a daily watch to a lot of people. It can be used in formal as well as sporty settings.


Photo Gallery




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTRIBUTE FOR THE UPKEEP OF THIS BLOG

Any contributions is appreciated!